Tuesday, April 17, 2012

IS THERE A DOCTOR ON BOARD?


I was getting sleepy. After all, it was for me a time for siesta. But taking the 1p.m. flight to Seoul was the best option, considering that there was a scheduled welcome dinner for delegates of the 10 ASEAN countries plus Three (China, Japan and Korea). 

    I looked forward to the takeoff for it always gave me an exhilarating feeling. I took the rose quartz rosary-bracelet I wore and started praying while other passengers were finding their seats. 

     The takeoff was so smooth I wanted to congratulate the pilot.  Then, I had a hard time breathing. It was as if there was weight on my chest. I took deep, regulated breaths to calm the pounding of my heart. Despite the blanket provided passengers, I felt cold, and then warmth started to creep from my feet to the upper part of my body. I felt I was going to pass out. I thought of  people I love, a beautiful serene place… but I didn't feel better.

     I called a flight attendant, told her about my condition, and asked for a blood pressure apparatus. Boy, she surely took her time. Just when I was about to think she didn’t understand me, the chief flight attendant came. I told him my problem and he said he’ll come back. He did, after about 10-15 minutes, lugging a black bag. He put it down on the aisle,  and started to take out the contents --- dextrose, needles, cotton --- the whole caboodle. . . I pointed to the outside pocket of the bag which was the logical place to keep the sphygmomanometer. He took it out, but told me no one among the crew knew how to use it!  I was getting impatient and told him I could take my own BP. 

    “Is there a doctor on board?” a flight attendant asked, using the microphone. “A passenger is very ill.”  I wanted to laugh as I  put the cuff on my  arm. The chief F.A. literally had his mouth open as I got the stethoscope from him. 

    Mercifully, my BP was normal. The question in my mind was: What was causing my discomfort?  Was it acid stomach? Sleepiness? Poor circulation? Who knows?

     I closed my eyes and thought of good things and angels cradling me.  My heart calmed down and by the time the flight attendants served food, I was feeling normal again.  I wasn’t hungry, but thought of the 4- hour flight and the one-hour ride from the airport to the hotel. I forced myself to eat even a small portion.

     As I exited the plane, I shook the chief purser’s hand and thanked him, but I promised myself I will never take that plane again! Not one of the crew knew how to deal with medical situations, not even how to take blood pressure!

    Going through Immigration was a breeze and when I went out the sliding door of the airport, I saw a sign with my name on it.  I was in Korea again….
    
     The very first thing I did when I returned home was to call my friend who does PR for the airline.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I used to know how to measure BP but it looks like everyone should know this, at least basic first aid, MOST especially airline crews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been acid stomach. Boy F, the healer I told you about advised me a long time ago that addressing my stomach acidity would solve most of my "complaints" including my bp.

      Delete