Thursday, April 19, 2012

Bro. Carmelo Cortez and Rose Petals


I heard about  Carmelo Cortez from a Filipina who resides abroad. She comes to the Philippines at least twice a year to visit relatives and see to her business. She showed me a rose petal with an image  like that of the Blessed Mother. According to her, Carmelo performs healing after the Mass in a small church in Sta. Maria, Bulacan. By rows, people approach the communion rail and he goes to each one, blessing them with oil and saying a short prayer. After everyone has gone through that ritual, another line is formed. Again, he goes to each one and puts a rose petal from a tray below the person's throat or upper chest. When the people go back to their seats and look at the petal, there is an image. It is a different religious image for different people.

Ever curious, I drove to Sta. Maria with some companions. Luckily, we found a pew near the altar, so I was able to observe what was going on. I was skeptical but followed instructions. People were quiet and orderly and it seemed that it was not the first time they have attended the Mass and healing there.

The flowers inside the church were all white roses. Assistants plucked the petals and put them on the tray before Bro. Carmelo did his rounds. The assistants' fingers were bare, no hidden gadget to place imprints on the petals.

My turn came and I gave a rose petal from a white rose I bought in Manila to Bro. Carmelo. When returned to my seat and  I looked at it, there was an image of the Last Supper! One companion's had the image of Sto. Nino (Child Jesus), another, an image of the Blessed Mother, and another, an angel. The images were clear. I noticed that the images became clearer when the petal turned brown after some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment